Ankylosing Spondylitis is mainly chronic inflammation of the sacroiliac joints and spine, and it can also affect the internal organs and other parts of the whole body rheumatism. The characteristic pathological changes are inflammation of tendons and attachment points. Modern medicine believes that the cause of the disease is not clear, and the pathogenesis is unclear. Only drugs can be used to relieve the disease to a certain extent, but the disease cannot be cured.
The prevalence of AS has been reported differently in various countries. In the past, it was thought that the disease was more common in men, with a ratio of 10.6:1 for men to women; now it is reported that the ratio of men to women is 5:1, but women have a slower onset and milder disease. The age of onset is usually 13 to 31 years old, and it is rare after the age of 30 and before the age of 8.
AS patients often have lumbosacral pain, back pain, poor joint flexion and extension, joint swelling, morning stiffness and other clinical symptoms. What is more, joint deformities appear in the later stage of the disease, which seriously affects the health and quality of life of AS patients. And the natural treatment of TCM is a effective method is of great significance to relieve the clinical symptoms of AS patients and improve their quality of life.
Ankylosing spondylitis causes and treatment of traditional Chinese medicine:
1. Deficiency of Kidney and Du meridian, obstruction of cold and dampness:
Symptoms: Migratory joint pain (common in lower limb joints) is common at the beginning of the symptom. Later, it gradually develops lumbosacral and back pain, accompanied by low back and back limbs pain, or low back pain in the morning, poor mobility, pain decreased after doings and worsened on rainy days. The tongue coating is thin and white or white and greasy, and the pulse is deep and wiry or soggy and moderate.
Treatment: To invigorate the kidney, benefit Du meridian, dispel cold and dredge meridians.
Herbs: Rhizoma Cibotii, Fructus Corni, Radix Dipsaci, Radix Morindae Officinalis, Herba epimedii, Cortex Eucommiae, Scolopendra, Caulis Sinomenii, Herba Lycopodii, and Chuanlong Yam.
2. Liver and kidney Yin deficiency, damp heat and blocked:
Symptoms: low back pain, stiffness and discomfort when waking up in the morning, limited movement, hot touch of the affected skin, increased back pain at night, difficulty turning over, or accompanied by low-grade fever, the limbs like to be outside at night, bitter taste in mouth, thirst, but do not want to drink , constipation, red urine, red tongue, yellow greasy coating, slippery and rapid pulse.
Treatment: To replenish liver and kidney, clear away heat and detoxify, remove dampness and dredge meridians.
Herbs: Rhizoma Anemarrhenae, Cortex Phellodendri,Radix Achyranthis Bidentatae,Sevenlobed Yam Rhizome,Fructus chaenomelis,Radix gentianae macrophyllae,Rhizoma Smilacis Glabrae,Caulis Lonicerae,Radix Sophorae Flavescentis,Radix Sophorae Flavescentis,Caulis Sinomenii,Chuanlong Yam,Herba Scutellariae Barbatae
3. Deficiency of liver and kidney, obstruction of phlegm and blood stasis:
Symptoms: Include lumbosacral and back pain, neck and back rigidity, abnormal, restricted movement, chest tightness, accompanied by dizziness and tinnitus, low-grade fever or chills, cold limbs, dull complexion, dark lips, white and greasy tongue coating or yellow greasy tongue coating, thready and choppy pulse or thready and slippery.
Treatment: To nourish the liver and kidney, resolve phlegm, remove blood stasis and dredge meridians.
Herbs: Rhizoma Cibotii, Fructus Corni,Radix Paeoniae Alba,Caulis Sinomenii,White Mustard Seed,Rhizoma Curcumae,Rhizome of Paniculate Bolbostemma,Scolopendra
Traditional Chinese medicine physiotherapy:
Ordinary acupuncture generally refers to the application of acupuncture methods to select different acupuncture points, combined with acupuncture techniques, auxiliary techniques, or needle retention to get Qi. Acupuncture can reduce inflammation and relieve pain. By expanding the surrounding blood vessels of the affected area, improving microcirculation and increasing blood flow, it can eliminate edema in the interstitial space, accelerate metabolism, and loosen the adhesion of surrounding tissues. The pathological change of AS is inflammation of tendons and ligament attachment points, which is aseptic inflammation. Acupuncture can eliminate aseptic inflammation and improve the patient’s spinal function.
Most moxibustion methods are Lei Huo moxibustion, and only a few are other moxibustion methods. Lei Huo moxibustion is made of pure moxa by adding herbs to make moxa sticks. Press several ignited moxa sticks on tissue papers on the selected acupuncture points for cauterization. The heat of moxibustion and the action of herbs used to give the human body is stimulated by warm heat and to achieve the purpose of disease prevention, treatment and health care.
How to prevent ankylosing spondylitis:
1. Improve your own immunity, because the body can have natural defense and resistance to harmful factors. Similarly, when joint inflammation occurs or is injured, it will send out pain signals, so that the patient can avoid excessive exercise and joints can be protected. For patients with ankylosing spondylitis, if the stiffness decreases after doings in the morning and the pain does not increase, the amount of exercise can be appropriately increased.
2. Pay attention to exercise in life, which will strengthen the bones, promote muscle metabolism, make them more powerful, and help stabilize the joints. At the same time, it can adjust the psychological balance and eliminate anxiety and depression. Of course, you can’t exercise too vigorously.
3. Maintain correct posture and mobility to prevent the occurrence of kyphosis, which is very important for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis. It is extremely important to pay attention to daily body posture to maintain good posture. Often think of keeping the body straight, and should remember to keep the body straight regardless of walking, sitting, standing, or lying down.
4. Ankylosing spondylitis should insist on sleeping on a hard bed without pillows or thin pillows, which helps to keep the body straight and lying on the back is better than lying on the side. For early-stage patients, lying prone once a day in the morning and evening for half an hour each time will help slow down trunk flexion.