With the development of the aging society, the problem of the elderly has gradually emerged and has gradually attracted the attention of the society. In particular, the elderly have more problems with diseases, and depression in elderly is now easy to find, because most elderly people will have symptoms such as loneliness and depression. So once it is discovered, prompt treatment is needed. So what are the symptoms and treatments of depression in elderly?
First, what are the symptoms of depression in elderly?
1. Emotional depression: Emotional depression is the core symptom of depression. Mainly manifested as persistent depression, patients are often depressed, and living like years; past hobbies have become boring, life has become boring, life is meaningless; unable to lift the energy, can not be happy, and even feel Desperate, extremely disappointed with the future, obvious sense of helplessness and uselessness, self-blame.
2. Decreased volitional activity: The patient may be slow to act, lazy in life, not wanting to speak (less speech, low intonation, slow speaking), not wanting to do things, and unwilling to communicate with people around. And always feel insufficient energy, fatigued, and even unable to take care of themselves in daily life. Not only has the enthusiasm and joy of life diminished or lost in the past, but also has become increasingly reluctant to participate in social activities, and even lived alone behind closed doors, alienating relatives and friends.
3. Insomnia: Insomnia is a typical symptom of depression in elderly, with early awakening as the main feature. After waking up in the early morning, was very depressed, and was very distressed about the coming day and how to spend it.
4. Easy to angry: The symptoms of depression in elderly are gloomy expression, listlessness, drowsiness, easy tearing and crying. Patients often use words such as “depressed”, “desolate”, “dull”, “empty”, “lonely”, and “it seems to be separated from others by a wall” to describe their feelings. Patients often feel depressed, extremely irritable, and often angry due to trivial matters.
Second, how to treat depression in elderly
Psychotherapy is very important. The combination of antidepressant and psychotherapy is a temporary and permanent cure, and the effect is much higher than that of antidepressant or psychotherapy alone. Psychotherapy can improve after cured and help prevent recurrence.
2. create a good family atmosphere
Preventing depression in the elderly requires the joint efforts of the elderly themselves and their families. First of all, you should participate in group activities, make more friends, cultivate hobbies, and actively engage in outdoor activities; secondly, your children should be more concerned, accompany, and support, and create a good family atmosphere.
3. Strengthen psychotherapy and social support
The prevention of depression in the elderly includes not only preventing the appearance of the disease, but also preventing the recurrence of the disease. Therefore, for the depression patients in stable condition, they should introduce hygiene common sense and conduct various forms of psychological treatment to help the sick elderly face the disease and treat it correctly. Pay attention to the cultivation of a good character, and establish a correct outlook on life and values. Secondly, do not cause unnecessary mental stimulation to the elderly, and help the elderly treat and deal with various unfavorable factors correctly.
4. Reduce stress
As much as possible to relieve or reduce the patients’ excessive psychological burden and pressure, to help patients solve practical difficulties and problems in life and work, to improve patients’ coping ability, and to actively create a good environment for them to prevent recurrence.
The symptoms of depression in elderly and related treatment methods are as mentioned above. If family members find elderly depression patients, they should take the elderly to the hospital for diagnosis first, and then make relevant treatments, so that the condition can be controlled in time.